Wednesday, July 18, 2018

What Are You Thinking About Today?

London's National Museum
June 2018
Do my interests and my art clash?
Does my embracing of mixed media as my art form preclude all forms of my art that smack of craftiness?
Where is the line drawn between something being a work of art and not a craft project? 
Am I embracing a new profession or just expanding my hobby to “earn a little money”?

This past year, I started taking a number of online courses proposing to show me how to turn my art into a career or how to attract patrons for my art. In truth, these very courses are a means to an income. They are rarely free classes. Now before you say anything, I am a proponent of people making a living for themselves. And I also believe that many people will gain much needed, new knowledge from taking their classes. They confirmed my sense that I create art not because I want to make a living with my art.  But I want to make art because of my health.

But is it art?
Sometimes I have to take a break from sculpting and pick up a pencil to just draw or paint for a time. Other times my hand is drawn to the yarn and I create a creature of fiber, sewing together fiber bits to dress many of my creations. I do not see a conflict with moving my muse along like that. Some might call it multi-tasking my art. Which is partially true. I often have partially completed projects in the works in each or any of these methods. A piece has to sit and cure or just the right part is needed to complete another part. Often my energy levels dictate which method my time is spent with. A flare that limits the movement of my upper arms or strength can impede a lot of my favorite methods. Travel and temperatures have hampered my choices of material. Scheduling is another consideration. I may need a whole 8-hour creative day for project X but only have a few minutes a day for projects J thru K.

Somebody had to do that at least once.
Don’t even talk to me about my website. Time spent researching and editing the tools and building my page were kind of creative yet they do not feel like my art to me. Intellectually I know the time was spent to benefit my art, still, I feel guilty for the time lost to painting or drawing. Actually, I feel guilty a lot. Guilty for trying too hard, guilty for not trying hard enough. Guilty for having to give up my planned art part of the day or moment because I have to collapse in bed for now. Don't worry I've got this whole guilt thing under control. Sort of. Maybe...


That felt good. Don’t get me wrong I’m not unhappy with the process. In fact, I am energized by it. But that is another Blog. 

It was a lovely view


P.S. Inserted a few interesting pictures from Our UK Trip.