Monday, June 25, 2018

Street Art in the UK

I promised that when I returned from our Bucket List trip to the UK, I would be sharing my discoveries and inspirations on these pages.

The first bit I want to share is a collection of street art that my husband and I photographed through-out the UK. Some in Dublin. Quite a few in Glasgow, London, Cardiff, and Aberystwyth. This is not necessarily art in the sense that it is gallery quality but art in that moved me and made me think about the subject.

Much of this art was created as social statements. Like Meek’s “Begging for Change”. Originally placed in Melbourne, Australia. Meek utilizes the same stencil graphic style as Banksy along with strong social justice themes.

Glasgow is awash in street art. Much of it the work of the street artist known as Smug. Such as the modern day portrait of Glasgow’s patron saint, Mungo.



















In addition to Smug’s work, Bobby McNamara aka Rogue-One colored the walls with floating cars and splashing Olympic swimmers. All with common spray paint.

London’s art is mostly restricted to galleries, however, Sometimes like New York City, an anonymous artist’s work inspires the average passerby to stop and admire or ponder their message.



















It would be easy to discount some of the art as an advertisement if it were not for the creative flair. A barbershop in Dublin decorated with a whimsical caricature of the barber.

Was this fellow a political statement or random decoration.



















Then there is this building. Painted by James Earley, the Blooms Hotel in Temple Bar is a remarkable Joycean style work.

There were numerous examples that one might classify as commercial.  But that is another blog.
Coming Soon!